Daily news and weekly updates from Africa
- 18 December 2015 - David Wamuha
- Thursday 22 October 2015The project will also help smallholder producers organize into groups so they can negotiate better prices for their products. Eight new credit unions will be established to provide financial services and credit to producers, thanks to the new project.
- Thursday 15 October 2015The project will support Kenyan government on non-communicable disease (NCD) prevention and control – by 2030, NCDs are expected to cause more than 60% of deaths in the country.
- Thursday 15 October 2015Solar power can help solve Africa's energy issues, Grant Shapps has said during a visit to Nigeria.
- Thursday 15 October 2015While pressure mounts on governments in Africa, including Kenya, to embrace Genetically Modified food, the people of Nakuru are pushing back on the pressure by declaring Nakuru GMO free.
- Friday 9 October 2015Based at China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, scientist Youyou Tu, the Physiology - Medicine Nobel winner has changed perception of TCMs as alternative medicine, especially in low economies.
- Thursday 17 September 2015On 11 September, at least seven people were killed and 14 others injured, including 4 officials from the National Emergency Management Agency, after the Malkohi IDP camp in Yola, Adamawa State, was the target of a suicide bombing.
- Wednesday 16 September 2015Announcing the launch of the year-long campaign to end violence against children, the President said “This is a historic day. A day when Nigeria stands up and says to our children – we commit to protecting you from violence.”
- Monday 14 September 2015eKitabu is East Africa’s premier ebook store, selling and distributing ebooks and interactive content to schools and individuals at ekitabu.com.
- Friday 11 September 2015The current situation for the children in Libya highlights the need to ensure that child rights are well embodied in the constitution.
- Thursday 10 September 2015The 88-page report, “‘Men With No Mercy’: Rapid Support Forces Attacks against Civilians in Darfur, Sudan,” documents Rapid Support Forces atrocities against civilians during two counterinsurgency campaigns in Darfur.
- Wednesday 9 September 2015The grant documents were signed at AU Headquarters, on 07 September 2015, by the Commissioner for Peace and Security, Amb. Smail Chergui, and China’s Permanent Observer to the African Union, Amb. Kuang Weilin.
- Tuesday 8 September 2015The workshop will feature among others theoretical presentations on the linkages of harmful traditional practices such as child marriage and female genital mutilation, the role of stakeholders and the effect of traditional and religious practices of child marriage on Africa’s socio-economic development.
- Monday 7 September 2015The new FAO/ Cameroon Partnership Programme (FCPP) will focus on national priorities as set forth in the FAO Country Programming Framework for Cameroon.
- Friday 4 September 2015The conference which is holding at the headquarters of the African Union (AU) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, was officially opened by Dr. Elham Mahmood Ibrahim, Commissioner for Infrastructure and Energy of the African Union, under the chairmanship of Honorable Yamfwa Mukanga, Ministers of Transport, Works, Supply and Communications of the Republic of Zambia.